Empowering Agriculture for Global Food and Nutrition Security. The 15th anniversary of the Bilateral Trust Fund with FAO
About 793 million people currently suffer from hunger and chronic malnutrition. The economic and financial crisis, the consequences of climate change, and the decrease in the amount of usable agricultural land worldwide will all exacerbate the situation.
- Since 2002, the Federal Ministry of Agriculture (BMEL) supports projects of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to erradicate hunger and malnutrition through a Bilateral Trust Fund (BTF).
In addition to the annual financial contributions to the FAO, the BTF represents a voluntary contribution of Germany towards the implementation of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Since then, BMEL has used BTF funds to promote over 100 projects with a total budget of over EUR 121 million.
Building on the Fund‘s regional priority areas in Afghanistan and Sub-Saharan Africa, BMEL has widened its support since 2016 to also cover South-East Asia.
The main emphases of the BTF are:
- Supporting the implementation of the right to adequate food through the “Voluntary Guidelines” on the right to food in the context of national food security
- Improving tenure rights and equitable access to land, forest, water and fisheries and implementation of the "Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests"
- Reducing malnutrition and nutrient deficiencies though promotion of a balanced diet and nutrition education with vulnerable groups
- Adapting agriculture to climate change – bioenergy and food security
- Developing strategies for rural development and their mainstreaming in agricultural policies
- Promoting sustainable food systems in urban contexts to grant accessible food to all
The planning and implementation in a partner country are carried out in a joint process with the respective government and the target groups. The projects are developed with due regard to the social, ecological and economic sustainability objectives.